Add-a-Grain Bread printed from Cooks.com

The price of wheat is going UP, UP.  I have generally purchased wheat in 25 lb. bags for about $6.25--white wheat and hard red winter wheat.  I just looked and the price has gone up from $6.25  to $11.45 for the 25 lb. bags.  That's almost double!
So, my brother is looking for a tasty whole wheat bread with seeds and nuts.  (My sister and I taught him to cook from the time he could stand on a chair and see over the kitchen counter.)   I am going to try this one today and see what I think.  Anyone who has a yummy homemade seed-nut bread recipe please comment.  I grind my wheat and make bread pretty regularly, but I haven't experimented with nuts and seeds.  
2 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
2 pkgs. dry yeast or 2 T. instant yeast
1 3/4 c. milk
1/3 c. honey or molasses
3 tbsp. oil
2 tsp. salt
3 c. flour and/or grain options
1/2 c. chopped nuts or sunflower seeds (opt.)
GRAIN OPTIONS:
3 c. whole wheat or rye
2 c. rolled oats
1 c. buckwheat
1 c. wheat bran or cornmeal
1/2 c. wheat germ
Cracked wheat or rye, steel cut oats, bulgar or buckwheat oats - 1 c. (combine with 1 c. boiling water, let stand for 5 minutes, drain well)
Combine whole wheat flour and dry yeast. Heat milk, honey, oil and salt until lukewarm. Add to whole wheat and yeast. Beat at least 3 minutes on high speed using electric mixer. Stir in white flour and/or grain options (use any combination, but total must equal 3 cups) and nuts or seeds. If consistency is too wet, add whole wheat flour. Knead 6 to 8 minutes. Let rise in greased bowl. Punch down; divide in 2 and let rest 10 minutes. Form loaves, put in greased bread pans. Brush with water. Top with crushed oats, wheat germ or cornmeal. Let rise. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Add recipes and ideas that have helped you and your family with pantry cooking, food storage or emergency preparedness.